Best of all kids LOVE GBSA – what could be better than messing about on boats in the summer ? Your kids will have an adventure they’ll remember for the rest of their lives while learning a skill that will last them a life-time.
The GBSA Instructional Program includes
- Beginners - a program designed to teach kids the basics of sailing. It’s the perfect starting place. Beginners sail in groups with an instructor on the boat. Kids as young as 7 (as of June 1st) may enroll.
- Opti Beginners – for those who have learned the basics and want to explore sailing a boat by themselves – opti beginners provides the perfect platform to learn about boat handling and racing sailboats.
- 420 Beginners & Intermediate – after optimist dinghies, kids in the early teens will often move to the 420 – a two person boat. 420 Beginner & Intermediate classes teach the basics of this boat that is popular with high school and college sailing programs.
- Keel Boating - For sailors 12 - 18 years old who have completed at least 4 weeks of GBSA's Beginners course (or something similar) and want to learn the basic of sailing keelboats such as safety, rig and de-rig, trim/reef sails, skipper, navigate, tack, jibe, dock (or, pull up to a mooring), and a man overboard drill. We will primarily be sailing on our J/22's.
- Accelerate Practice - For those sailors who are in the morning instructional classes and want to build on and practice their skills, we now offer full-day options for our Beginners, 420 Beginners and Opti Beginners classes.
- Young Adult Beginners - For 12 - 18 year olds with no prior sailing experience. Groups of 2-4 students plus and instructor will be introduced to the basics of sailing on one of our Hunter 140s.